Since radio began the business of distant, wireless communication has bewildered the people and it didn’t take long before groups of amateur radio operators were formed. Ham radio differs from CB radio as a amateur radio can have up to 1000 watts. The wavebands available are wider and less cluttered, communication can be made via AM, SSB, FM radio-teletype, even television. With the addition of satellite advancements no portion of the world is beyond your reach. There is a price to be paid for access to all this wonderful technology of course, you need to take and complete a series of licensing exams.

Depending on what you want to accomplish there are several licenses available.

The Novice license allows operations on several High Frequency bands via Morse code as well as single sideband communication by voice between 28.3 and 28.5 MHz and also between 28.1 and 28.3 for radio teletype. To access these frequencies all you need is a ten meter radio Although these radios are commonly referred to as a 10 meter radio they are actually quite different as a CB radio does not require a license and a 10 meter radio does. FM and SSB transmissions are allowed between 222.01 and 223.91 MHz and 1270 to 1295 MHz.They make it rather simple to gain a Novice license, just pass a simple theory test and be a little proficient in Morse code.

Acquiring a Technicians license opens up the VHF and UHF bands.~The Technicians license means that you can now transmit on the UHF and VHF channels. Getting a Technicians License is not that difficult, you need to complete a radio theory test and FCC requirements test..

The next step, the General radio amateurs license, grants you the UHF band. For this license you have to capable of work Morse code at the rate of 13 words per minute and pass an exam on radio theory plus FCC regulations.

Once you have passed the more advanced theory test the Advanced License grants access to even more frequencies.

The highest license for ham radio operators in the USA is the Extra Class license. People who have this license have complete access to all HF VHF and UHF channels which are relegated to amateur radio. For this license you need to have passed the General and Advanced tests, be able to operate Morse code at 20 words per minute and complete an examination on the more complicated aspects of radio theory, operations and FCC rules.

An organization called The American Radio Relay League assists in providing all the information you may require to complete your license test..

For people not interested in all that, there is CB radio. Unlike amateur radio there is no license requirement for cb radio. CB’ers use a lighter language and there is no one broadcasting Morse code. Buy a radio and an antenna and your ready to go. How about it?

Source by David Thorson

error: Content is protected !!